Greene County Communities

Adaza - Located in the northwest part of Greene County. Formerly known as Cottonwood, Adaza was named by Captain Albert Head, who visited the site and exclaimed "Isn't is a daisy?" The name then stuck. Today's Adaza consists of a farm elevator and one house.

Churdan - With a population of 418, from the 2000 census, Churdan is a quaint town located in the northern region of Greene County. The land covers 125 square miles of productive farmland. The town is named for their first postmaster, Joseph Churdan Sr. The railroad was completed in 1882 and brought along with it the first store. Churdan became incorporated in 1884.

Cooper - In 1881, Cooper was formed along the railroad. One of the men working on the railroad named Cooper after their father-in-law, Isaac Cooper. Cooper is now an unincorporated community in Greene County. It is located along the Raccoon River Valley Trail, and still has a small population.

Dana - Located in the northeast region of Greene County, Dana had a recorded population of 84 people in 2000. The town has a total area of .3 square miles. The town was founded by Samuel Dana shortly before 1880.

Grand Junction - With a population of 964 at the 2000 census, Grand Junction covers a total area of 1 square mile. The town started in 1869, at the intersection of two railroads which are still in use today. It was incorporated in 1873.

Jefferson - The home of the Mahanay Memorial Bell Tower, Jefferson is also the county seat. The population was 4236 at the 2010 census. It is located along the North Raccoon River, US 30, and Highway 4. The city has a total area of 5.9 square miles. It was named for President Thomas Jefferson, was laid out in 1854, and was incorporated in 1873.

Paton - Started in 1874 and incorporated in 1883, Paton has all of the qualities of a quaint small town. In the 2000 census, Paton's population was 265. The town was named after William Paton of New York City who showed a great interest in the town.

Rippey - Located in the very southeast part of Greene County, Rippey had a population of 319 in the 2000 census. Rippey was named for Captain R.M. Rippey of the Civil War. The town was laid out in 1870 after the railroad was built.

Scranton - Site of the oldest working water tower in Iowa, and the 9th oldest in the United States, Scranton is home to 604 people (as of the 2000 census). It was named for a Mr. Scranton, the owner of a steel mill in Scranton, PA. It was incorporated in 1880.

 
Copyright © 2017 | Greene County Chamber of Commerce and Development Corp. | All Rights Reserved.