GREENE COUNTY/JEFFERSON INCENTIVE PACKAGE FOR ATTRACTING VETERANS TO OUR COMMUNITY
Greene County and the City of Jefferson have established a number of incentives we hope will be appealing to veterans and their families as they look to relocate or return to Iowa.
The key incentive is a significant number of new jobs and their diversity: there are openings for male, female, the currently under-employed youth market as well as retirees looking for additional income, disabled, fulltime and part-time, and those that need flexible hours.
Examples of new jobs coming to Greene County include:
- 140 jobs: Hy-Vee
- 70 jobs: New Way Trucks
- 30 jobs: Greene County Medical Center Expansion
- 40 jobs: Business Class Restaurant
- 250 jobs: Proposed Casino/Entertainment Center
- 75 jobs: Additional New and Expanding Manufacturing
- 200: Estimated in Attrition
805 Total estimated employees needed in the next 3 to 5 years.
Greene County has some specific incentives unique to our community:
- County banks have instigated a program that eliminates closing costs for veterans applying for VA financing.
- County businesses offer a $2000 relocation support package to help move the employee's family to our community.
- To make relocation easier we have a central housing site on our Chamber Website that lists all available properties for sale/rent/lease.
- We offer a pre-application job form on the Chamber Website that can be be completed on-line and then sent to any of the list of employers provided on the site. The employers will then contact the applicant for the next step.
- For veterans' families looking to purchase a home in our community we offer a 100% three year property tax abatement for new construction or remoldeling. (Available only withhin Jefferson city limits.)
- Jefferson Telecom offers 1 free standard TV installation and free internet installation for bundle customers.
Greene County offers a wide range of other advantages including:
- A full time Veterans Affairs Office.
- Close proximity to veterans' medical facilities in Carroll and Fort Dodge.
- County support of the Veterans' Preference designation.
- Unique county assets include the Mahanay Bell Tower, RVP-1875 (A historic furniture manufacturer/artisan colony), All Ability Cycles, Raccoon River Valley Trail (89 miles for biking, hiking, running, skiing), Raccoon River Canoeing and History Boy Theatre.
- We also have a fully licensed pre-school and day care facility and one of the highest ranked educational systems in the state.
- The County also offers support to veterans interested in starting their own business.
- Several funding sources and help with your business plan.
Components of the Home Base Iowa Act (Senate File 303)
- Military Pension Income Tax Exemption: All Military pensions will be fully exempt from state income tax. This exemption is retractive to Jan. 1 2014.
- Millitary Homeownership Assistance Program: A program through the Iowa Finance Authority will expand the budget to provide for up to $5000 of down payment or closing cost assistance to eligible veterans. This applies to those who have served since 9/11 as well as those that served during the Gulf War of 90/91.
- Permissive Veterans Preference: The Home Base Iowa Act will clarify that it is legal for private businesses to provide veterans preferential treatment in hiring decisions.
- Occupational Licensure: Iowa's occupational licensing boards will adopt rules allowing credit for millitary training and experience in the licensing process.
- Education: The state Board of Education will create a uniform policy granting automatic in-state tuition to veterans, their spouses, and their dependents at Iowa's community colleges.
- License Plates: Eligible applicants will be issued veterans-related license plates (such as Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and Gold Star) for free.
Greene County is a growing, welcoming community that can provide veterans an affordable living environment, close to large cities for entertainment yet offering a safe rural setting for your family.
If you have any questions, please contact our Veterans Affairs Director Tracie Perez - 515-386-5673. If Tracie is unavailable please contact Ken Paxton, Director Greene County Development Corp.- 515-386-8255.